Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Making Cards with Gelatos


I am so in love with the Faber-Castell gelatos. They are so super fun and easy to use. It is always fun to incorporate new art supplies into the creative mix. I already had white, black, silver, and gold gelatos. I liked them so much that I wanted to add some new shades to my collection. When I went to Michaels to grab some, they only had the package with reds & pinks. I will have to make another trip to see if they have any new colors. Of course I am really WANTING the blue pack because of the aqua. :)

I thought these colors were perfect for some Valentine's Day cards. I made a few that were quick and easy, with supplies I had laying around. The first thing I did was cut down some white card stock to about 5 inches. I also grabbed some sheet music, washi tape, some Dear Lizzy paper, and my embellishment drawer. (I keep a plastic organizer with drawers by my table and one of the drawers is for embellishments. It is convenient to throw things in there that I find around the house, rescue from the trash or buy.)


After I gathered my creative goodies, I started to play. The gelatos really allow you to control the amount of color you want on your project. If more pigment is needed, I simply add more. Easy! It is also very easy to use stencils with gelatos. Just be sure to hold the stencil pretty firm so the gelato does not spread out too much underneath. It might...but, I actually like that.


I was using standard white card stock when making these cards. I had thought about using watercolor paper, but wanted to see how this card stock held up with the water. The paper did buckle quite a bit. If you want to have less warping a heavier paper would be a better choice. I like the way the cards turned out - but, flat they are not.


Look at that cute Dear Lizzy paper from the Lucky Charm collection. I know it is an older collection, but I LOVE it. I have a 12 x 12 paper pad that I am hoarding having a hard time using up. Is it strange to have paper make my heart skip a beat? Ha! My hubby has some competition. :)


The light pink gelato is so soft and pretty. It was the perfect shade for this card. Some vintage sheet music layered with a white doily, Dear Lizzy sticker, and a water colored heart came together beautifully.

I am looking forward to more creative play with my gelatos. SO fun! Do you have any? I'd love to hear about your gelato projects too!

If you are on Instagram, come say "Hi!" Find me @sadieinspired

Come back for a visit tomorrow when I share a special layout! :)

Happy Creating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment