Thursday, November 15, 2012

Fall Tag Tutorial




I am so thankful that Fall is upon us (and Christmas right around the corner-Yikes!) and today I thought I would share a mixed media Fall themed tag tutorial. Whoa, that's a mouthful! Lol. Anyways, this is the Make N Take tag that I lead last weekend. I thought it was quick, easy, fun, and the perfect thing to share. If you need a little fall pizazz for your table, tag for a gift, or a quick autumn decoration - here you go. :)


First get your tag (or anything really) and cover it with gesso by scraping the surface with an old credit card or gift card. I made some with plain white acrylic too and it worked just fine. The whole surface does not have to be covered.


1) Next, use the same card to spread some more fall colored paint over the card. Here I used Bronze Yellow from Liquitex and Cadmium Yellow from Americana. Move the card in all different directions to get a layered look. If you want to tone down the colors go back with some white.

2 & 3) After the tag dries, use a stencil to make some circles in Burnt Umber (also Americana). I made this stencil using an old manilla folder and a 1 inch circle punch. SO cheap and easy. I applied the paint using a make up sponge.

4) Use 3 torn pieces from an old book and place them in various spots around the tag. Glue them down using a glue stick or matte medium.


After securing the book pages down, cover each randomly with paint to help blend them into the background. Your fingers work best!


Type up, print out, and cut some fall themed words. Then use a permanent ink pad like StazOn and ink around the edges of each word. Set aside to dry. I used Timber Brown.


Use that same pad and stamp your butterfly. I love butterflies! They pop up everywhere...even in fall! :) I stamped one out completely and then stamped a few that hung off the sides. Some of the tags I left as is, while others I used white acrylic over the butterfly (once dry) to mute it a bit. Next, attach your words.


Finally, add some interest and doodles with a white Gelly Roll pen and black Pentel pen. I added some definition around each word, added white here & there, and doodled away. 
That's it! Quick, easy, festive, and fun!


I hope you enjoyed this tag tutorial!
Happy Creating!

2 comments:

  1. Jen... your tag is gorgeous... love seeing the progress steps... thank you for sharing...

    Jenny ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed it Jen! But more than amazing us with another craft, I love the message too.

    Hope you are having a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete