Saturday, October 13, 2012

Practicing Creativity


 Happy Weekend my Lovelies! 
 I hope your weekend is restful, full of laughter, 
and creativity...no matter what that may be.
Maybe you are a gardener, a chef (sorry to say, not this girl - my poor family! Lol!), a writer, a baker, a crafter, a renovator...whatever it is. I hope you are carving out time 
to get that imagination flowing...
letting that little creative diva out to shine. :)


Yesterday I was working on a 12 x 12 canvas for my art studio wall and found the best quote to add to it. Perfect! This canvas happened to be an old one that I had painted about two years ago. It was a piece I had never finished because I just couldn't seem to get it "right." Now, I completely believe that there are no mistakes in art...just, lets say, "happy redirection" - so this angel that I didn't like was simply meant to be covered up. She is now at the bottom of some fabulous layers of paper & paint, representing where I have been and my artistic growth over the past two years. How perfect are these words for the studio wall?



"You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have."
Maya Angelou

Oh my gosh. So simple, but so true. Right? Lately, I have spent more time at my art table, hands messy with paint, then I ever have before. Finding the time is always hard - of course. For me it was about making time for the practice of being creative. Daily... Yes, daily. There are days when the time might be shown in hours and other days in minutes. There may be days when I am bellied up to the art table at dawn before my family is scurrying about or after they have drifted off to sleep at night. There may be days when laundry is piled high, floors are a mess, and kids are swinging from rafters (OK. no. just kidding about that last one). The important part is to make that time. For you. I know I need it. 


 Making things a daily practice or daily priority opens up a flood gate of ideas and keeps me sane. :) What is keeping you sane 
with smiles on your face this weekend?

XOXO,

2 comments:

  1. What's keeping me sane? My family and friends.. whenever I'm with the people who makes me feel loved and happy. I believe part of it is seeing your blog and seeing you in my blog too :)

    I finally had a glimpse of your studio. Please blog about it soon. Your place where all those creativity and greatness come out.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, I do love that quote!! It rings so true.

    ReplyDelete