Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Time for Backgrounds


Sometimes when I am feeling a little empty creatively or just don't have a lot of time...I like to sit down and work on backgrounds. I will have about 5 or 6 going at one time. I will use my journal, wood pieces, canvas, and cardboard. I use whatever my hands can grab and just build up some yummy layers. 


The backgrounds come pretty easily. I love working on them. I can really stick to my "don't think too much" rule when I am working on backgrounds. There are times when I want something very specific on a canvas and I will really plan that out. But, for the most part it just comes to me as I go. 

Look! I used all the slips with names from my giveaway for my first layer! :)

Then, when I have a creative burst, I have several different pieces to grab and work on top of. Like I said, I don't always work like that. But it sure does end some of my "creative blocks." :)

 One of my favorite tools...well, maybe a mild obsession...is a brayer. Oh, how I love the way a brayer can spread paint in a completely random yet beautiful way. I love the effect, don't you? Unfortunately my beloved brayer has gone missing. A certain little 3 year old loves to lurk around all my art goodies (what 3 year old wouldn't!) and I have a sneaking suspicion that he has found a lovely place for my brayer. A place no one can find! :) He loves putting keys in toy boxes, camera SD cards in his sister's Barbie house, and you should see all the things he has hidden behind the couch. Anyways, I have been working without one for over a month...and I think it is time to get a new one. You know it will turn up a day after I rip open the new one. It always happens like that!! :)

I was wondering...are you a "start to finish" artist or do you work on several things at once? Any favorite background tools in your artistic stash? 

7 comments:

  1. Great start for your art! This is how I am when I paint papers for collage--they seem to flow out of me, but when I have a blank canvas in front of me, I'm don't know what to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. creating backgrounds are so much fun and I'm with you on the joys of brayering. Hope yours turns up soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I saw my name! But I believe that creativity need not to be planned. Sometimes , you just have to trust destiny and fate to guide you all the way. And your naughty little darling is playing a great role in every work you produce :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great backgrounds, and I agree, the brayer is an incredible tool, it can do so much! I need to get (find) mine and try to use it more often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great backgrounds! I need to use my brayer... Lately I have had some extra backgrounds going on...but usually I am more of a start to finish girl, I guess! I am getting over it...I think! Ha. A goal of mine is to someday have a collection of background pages, layers, that I can write on when thoughts are ready to be written.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Backgrounds look great! Love the look of your blog too! I've been so busy I haven't made the rounds lately ♥

    ReplyDelete